So we began yesterday morning by walking the dogs down towards the beach, only to be met by the island’s policeman who informed us that there was a tropical wave (one down from hurricane grade) was on the way, and we were on the red zone.
Having been warned that we should consider making our way to one of the secure locations such as the school or clinic.
Getting back to the house the wind was definitely picking up, and me, Sophie and the other two volunteers handing over to us Katie and Callum packed emergency bags and made a cup of tea.
Having trawled the internet and examined various weather reports, it certainly looked like we could be in for a long day. However, with the house dogs being needed to be left behind if we left (and the house being designed and built to withstand fairly enthusiastic storms we decided to keep packed ready to go, but hang back and ensure we kept the animals as dry and safe as possible.
Luckily, she passed without much more than some strong winds and heavy driving rain, so back to dog walks today!